you don't want or can't join an organized full-day or multiple-day volcano+geology trip
you join an organized trip but want to get a head start and prepare
1st video: Welcome & introduction to the premium online course about Hawai'i (9 minutes)
2nd video: Hawai'i's geographical location + overview of the 8 main Hawaiian Islands (11 minutes)
3rd video: Basic geology of the Hawaiian Islands (35 minutes)
Introduction / Geography
- Where are the Hawaiian Islands located?
- How large is the Hawaiian Island chain?
- What are the names, nicknames, shapes and areas of each of the 8 main islands?
The Geological Story of the Hawaiian Islands (module 1)
- How were the Hawaiian Islands created?
- What is a volcanic hot spot?
- What is a mantle plume?
- What is the Hawaiian moat?
- What is an atoll?
- How will the Hawaiian Islands develop in the future?
- What is lithosphere and asthenosphere?
- What types of lava exist in Hawai'i?
- What is basalt?
- How old is the Hawaiian Island chain and each of the main islands?
- What are shield volcanoes? How are they characterized?
- How was each of the 6 main Hawaiian Islands formed?
- Why are there black sand / cream-colored / white / red / green sand beaches?
- What natural force is predominantly shaping Hawai'i?
You'll be able to pinpoint the Hawaiian Islands on a map
You'll be able to name the 8 main Hawaiian Islands and their nicknames
You'll be able to reconstruct the formation of the Hawaiian Emperor Volcanic Chain and their hot spot origin
You'll grasp how large the Hawaiian Island chain truly is
You'll be able to distinguish the two main types of basalt lava in Hawai'i
You'll be able to identify basalt lava in real life
You'll be able to predict the geological future development of the Hawaiian Islands
You're well prepared and equipped with basic geological knowledge to embark on a real-life adventure in Hawai'i
How do I sign up / enroll?
It's easy! (1) Click the "Start free trial" button. You'll be forwarded to the checkout page for the premium online course about Hawai'i: Hawaiian Islands: Island & Landscape Formation and Nature. Here you can sign up for the free trial. (2) Create an account for Earthy University, no payment details required. You'll be enrolled for the free trial videos of the premium online course about Hawai'i (see next question). That's all!
Is there a catch?
No catch, it's completely free and to achieve the above mentioned results you don't need to pay anything. BUT: These free 3 videos are part of the premium online course 'Hawaiian Islands: Island & Landscape Formation and Nature'. You may upgrade to the full course version later for maximum benefits.